Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Baptisms and Parties

The past week has been crazy, and most of the hoopla centered around my baptism on Sunday. To get ready for my baptism and all the people coming over afterwards, Mommy and Daddy slowly managed to do a pretty thorough house cleaning. This was actually an achievement given the fact that they both had to work crazy schedules all last week. Daddy didn't get home until after 2:00 a.m. twice last week and Mommy was also later than normal three days last week. By Saturday, they were both pretty exhausted. Saturday was spent going out to breakfast with Grandma and Grandpa, picking up my baptism cake, getting some last minute things at the store and going to my baptism rehearsal.




Uncle Rob and Aunt Julie are my godparents. They, obviously, had to come to to the rehearsal too. We spent some time sitting with the priest talking about the meaning of baptism and then we "walked the steps." I learned that day that if you scream (happily) in the church when there are no other people there, it produces a really good echo.

Sunday was the big day. Mommy made me take a bath at 7:00 in the morning. I usually take baths before going to bed. Right before we were about to leave for the church, I had to put on my baptism gown. It was hand sewn by my great grandma (Mommy's Mommy's Mommy) and it was also the dress that Mommy wore at her baptism. Once we got to the church I could sense that it was going to be different than it normally is at church. In fact, when the priest was almost ready to come get Mommy, Daddy, Uncle Rob, Aunt Julie and I for the baptism, I made a big stinky! Daddy had to run me out of the church to change my diaper. When we came back inside everybody was waiting for us. Then as we were walking towards the front of the church for may actual baptism, I got the hiccups and kept them throughout the ceremony. I think most people thought it was funny, so it really wasn't that big of a deal.




After church we went home to visit with everybody who came for my baptism. I got to see both sets of my grandparents, two sets of my great grandparents, Uncle Daniel, Aunt Julie, Uncle Rob, Great Aunt Carolyn, Great Aunt Sandy, Justin and Milo. It was really fun and everybody got to see me in action in my jumper and in my Halloween costume. Mommy even let me try a small piece of my baptism cake. I was afraid Mommy and Daddy wouldn't think I was ready to eat cake yet.



Later Sunday night, once everybody had gone home, we went to Milo's house for his family's annual Rocktober Fest. I got to wear my Halloween costume again (if you click the link to Milo's blog, there is another picture of me in my costume). Mommy asked that I congratulate Milo's Mommy on her absolutely wonderful peanut butter rice crispy treats.



I got some really nice gifts for my baptism and even a little bit of money. Mommy and Daddy thought it would be a good idea to open me my own bank account. It was the best decision ever. The bank has a kids club and I got Sammie the Sea Otter (a stuffed animal) for signing up. He is the best. Every time I look at him I have to laugh. If I save enough money I'll get another prize some day.




No comments: